[Linkerd2] azure-voting sample

Hi there,

Currently, I playing around with linkerd and AKS. I tried to deploy the azure-voting-sample to the service mesh. For this, I used linkerd inject and it works just fine. But I only can see metrics for the frontend service. No metrics are displayed for the backend service, a Redis instance. Even no connection between the frontend-service and the backend-service is shown.

Since redis is using TCP I am wondering if I need to configure something by hand? I found that there is linkerd TCP but it seems only be related to linkerd 1.x (I am using linkerd 2.0)

You are correct TCP data should reflect Redis requests. While the Linkerd proxy does route TCP data, unfortunately the Linkerd Dashboard currently does not display TCP metrics. A few options…

Grafana

The Deployments page in Grafana has some basic TCP metrics, in the Inbound/Outbound TCP Metrics sections:

Prometheus

All the raw TCP metrics data is in Linker’s deployment of Prometheus. You can port-forward into Prometheus with:

kubectl -n linkerd port-forward $(kubectl -n linkerd get po --selector=linkerd.io/control-plane-component=prometheus -o jsonpath='{.items[*].metadata.name}') 9090:9090

Then browse to http://localhost:9090 and query for things like tcp_read_bytes_total{job="linkerd-proxy"}:

Github

If you have particular use cases, feel free to comment on these issues (they are currently closed as stale but may be revived if it’s important to users):

This topic was automatically closed 30 days after the last reply. New replies are no longer allowed.